Thursday, February 7, 2013

welcome to my world.

I am doing this the lazy way and making a blog before I start creating the true zine that I really want to do. Bad Housekeeping is a name I thought was fitting, due to my interest in DIY, crafting, and especially cooking. It's also in keeping with my laxity towards cleaning up after myself following such endeavors.

Good Housekeeping is the perfect magazine for the conventional housewife. Bad Housekeeping will be the perfect magazine for the unconventional reader's day-to-day life.

To start off, here is a recipe for Albondigas soup I adapted last night from this recipe http://www.food.com/recipe/best-albondigas-soup-107281 and another recipe my husband brought home from the cooking instructor at Whole Foods when he used to work there. I didn't have the ingredient ratios from the latter, just a list saved in an old sent email I had to dig up.  This is a Mexican meatball soup that is about the best thing to eat EVER during the wintertime. You can get it done in about an hour, eat a big bowl, and still have a nice amount to eat for the next day or two. It was super cheap to make too!

I am not the type of cook that follows non-baking-related recipes precisely. Just look at the reviews on any online recipe - it seems like everyone makes up their own version anyway.



For the meatballs:
1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. chorizo
1/2 cup cooked rice
2 cloves minced garlic
1 egg
1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
Salt & pepper
Several good shakes each: Cumin, oregano, smoked paprika

For the broth:
Mirepoix (I used 3 celery stalks, 6 very small carrots, and a quarter of a large red onion, all finely chopped)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c. cilantro, finely chopped
Cumin, smoked paprika, hot pepper
6 c. stock (I used veggie Better Than Bouillon + water)
16 oz can of plain diced tomatoes (I used about 2/3 can of San Marzano cos they come in really big cans)
3-4 small Yukon potatoes, 1 cm. dice

  • Mix all the meatball ingredients thoroughly in a big bowl and roll into 1" balls. Put aside in the fridge on a plate.
  • Saute the mirepoix and garlic in a pot for a few minutes with some bacon drippings (start putting your bacon grease in a jar!) or olive oil.
  • Add spices and cilantro and stir a minute till fragrant.
  • Stir in the stock and tomatoes and heat till simmering.
  • Drop in the meatballs and potatoes. Return to a low boil, cover and cook for 20-30 min. Season to taste with salt, pepper and hot pepper.
Think that's delicious today? It's going to be even better tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment